Today, Dar es Salaam becomes the to join in Uber’s growing global network .With the launch of Uber, an innovative technology platform, Dar es Salaam joins the list of smart transportation hubs in Africa. Following the success of Uber in many other cities, Uber is excited to launch its ride-sharing platform to the people of Dar es Salaam.
Uber Dar es Salaam
Uber’s innovative platform connects drivers with riders in real-time, at the touch of a button. Whether you’re a local heading out with friends, in the city on business or exploring its tourist sites, Uber provides an affordable, safe and reliable way to get across the city.
Dar es Salaam’s exciting, rapidly growing market makes it a perfect fit for Uber. The World Bank states that Tanzania’s GDP growth rate is estimated at 6.8% for 2017 and the country is maintaining a low rate of inflation. Businesses are flourishing, with sectors such as transport, construction, and financial services booming.
Alon Lits General Manager for Uber Sub-Saharan Africa said:
“We are proud to launch Uber in Tanzania at such an exciting point in its growing economy. As the infrastructure of Dar es Salaam rapidly urbanises, so the demand for affordable, easy and flexible transport grows.”
“We have set the standard for connecting people to world-class transport, moving millions of global citizens every day through our offering of affordable and reliable rides at the touch of a button. Our service complements existing transport options, so we can all work together to reduce traffic congestion and the environmental impact of transport in the city.”
So what is Uber?
Uber helps people get a ride at the push of a button – there’s no waiting on the street or walking through unfamiliar neighbourhoods to find a bus. It’s the most convenient way to get a safe, reliable and affordable ride
Before Getting into the Car
- No more street hails or waiting outside to find a ride. You can start the Uber app from anywhere and wait safely for your car to arrive. That means no standing on the street to hail a cab or struggling to find the nearest bus stop late at night.
- Trips are no longer anonymous. When a driver accepts your request, you see his or her first name, photo, and license plate number. You can also check whether others have had a good experience with him or her. In addition, the driver can see your first name and rating. You can contact the driver—and vice versa— through the app if there is any confusion around pick-up details.
During the Ride
- Share your ETA and location. You can easily share your ride details, including the specific route and estimated time of arrival, with friends or family for extra peace of mind. They’ll receive a link where they can see in real time the name and photo of the driver, their vehicle, and where you are on the map until you arrive at your destination—and they can do all of this without having to download the Uber app themselves.
After the Ride
- Feedback and ratings after every trip. After every ride, you and your drivers need to rate each other and provide feedback. Our safety team reviews this information and investigates any issues.
- 24/7 Support. If something happens in a car, whether it’s a traffic accident or altercation between you and your driver, our customer support staff are ready to respond to any issues 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Rapid Response. We have a dedicated Incident Response Team to answer any more urgent issues. If we receive a report that a driver or rider has acted dangerously or inappropriately, we suspend their account, preventing him or her from accessing the platform while we investigate.
Behind the Scenes
- Always on the map. Accountability is one of the things that makes riders feel safe in an Uber. We use GPS to keep a record of where a driver goes during the ride, allowing us to verify that the most efficient routes are being used, which creates accountability and a strong incentive for good behaviour.
- Working with law enforcement. In cases where law enforcement provides us with valid legal process, we work to get them the facts, for example by providing trip logs. Again, transparency and accountability are at the heart of the Uber experience.
- Pre-screening drivers. All drivers must undergo a screening process before they can use the Uber app.
Alon Lits added:
“Uber is part of a broader global evolution in transportation. Dar es Salaam is a vibrant, thriving city with a growing youthful labour force that is ready to welcome and support our service. Together, in partnership with the current transport system in Dar es Salaam, we will shape the future of urban travel to benefit passengers, drivers and the environment. We are so excited to be launching here.”
Uber is celebrating its launch in Dar es Salaam by providing free rides. Tanzanians can try out the new service by accessing their complimentary rides on the Uber app.