Zambia situation has grown to a 15.4% internet penetration , growing 15% annually over the past 3 years. Here are some more stats about Zambia over the past 3 years as of 2015 shared by the Internet Society:
- Global Internet penetration: Zambia ranks 137th, with 15% having access to the internet and growing by 15.4%
- Fixed Broadband Penetration: in 127th place, with a 6% compound annual growth rate (GAGR)
- Mobile Broadband Penetration: in 130th place, with a 38% CAGR over the past years.
- Affordability of Fixed Broadband: in 136th place with % of average GDP per capita required for fixed broadband access
- Download speed for Fixed Internet Access: Zambia is in 81st place with DL speed at 5.91 Mbits/s and UL speed at an average of 7.33 Mbit/s.
- Average Download for Mobile Internet Access in Mbit/s (on 3G+LTE networks): 144th place with averages of 0.05 Mbit/s download speed and 0.08Mbit/s upload speed.
- Limits on Content: freedom of expression in Zambia ranks at number 13 globally as it is partially free.
There is still a whole lot of work to be done to increase our penetration and speeds and that depends on how many more people switch to using smartphones and use data bundles, as well as the development of broadband support infrastructure especially in rural areas. Our speeds can reach higher speeds if more 4G connections are available and if spread out throughout the country, not condensed in one region.
You can see the state of the internet worldwide in the infographic below: