Telegram Now Has 50 Million Monthly Active Users!
The social messenger Telegram, which we see as a direct rival to Whatsapp is doing pretty well for itself. the company just announced that it now has over 50 million monthly active users (MAUs) sending over a billion messages a day!
Telegram has only been around for about a year and 4 months and it looks like they’re not going anywhere. Still not as popular in Zambia yet, they still have some favor in other countries, mostly in Europe, South America and Asia.
What’s even more impressive is for this large number of users, they have spent nothing on advertising the app. The app has spread like wildfire among user’s recommendations themselves, and Telegram thanked them for that in a blog post.
The best feature on the Telegram app is the secret chat that allows your message to self-destruct after whatever time you set it to. Telegram told us last year that the messages are so encrypted and are not saved on their servers they can not be cracked, even putting up a reward of $200, 000 to anyone who could.
Should you get the app? We think you should give it a chance. Among Telegram’s notable features are:
- Telegram messages are heavily encrypted and can self-destruct.
- lets you access your messages from multiple devices.
- delivers messages faster than any other application.
- servers are spread worldwide for security and speed
- has an open API and protocol free for everyone.
- Telegram is free forever. No ads. No subscription fees.
- it keeps your messages safe from hacker attacks.
- it has no limits on the size of your media and chats.
That last feature is what should be giving messengers like BBM a run for it’s money (if it’s even making any lately).
Congrats to the Telegram team for this messenger milestone. Even though still far behind Whatsapp MAUs of 600 million, they still have done a great job in such a short time.
Image Credit: Telegram Blog