MTN Zambia, the leading telecommunications service provider hosts the Tadhack in Zambia in collaboration with BongoHive, the hub of tech survey youths in Zambia.
The Tadhack which was started in 2013 as a way of providing a platform for telecommunication application developers is held in different countries with the aim of bringing together application developers, non-coders and business houses interested in using telecommunication applications and services in their business processes. Tadhack global is the largest telecom focused hackathon in the world. The TAD includes a prize for best innovations which is in a global pot of $42,000 plus:
1st prize: $1,000, PlayStation 4 and 4G router with 20GB data bundle
2nd prize: Hoverboard
3rd Prize: JBL Xtreme Bluetooth Speaker
Showcase category:Samsung Gear S2 + 4G router with 20GB data bundle extra planned for Zambia.
The Hackathon steers development in telecom app development, enables sharing of best practices, encourages innovation, promotes app development as a business and provides learning on various communication platforms, cloud communications and many other web- and IT centric service processes.
MTN Zambia is the only other operation in MTN Group apart from MTN South Africa to host the prestigious Hackathon. The event will be held on 14 to 16 October at Maanu House which is MTNZ Head Office. This is a demonstration of MTNZ’s drive to steer communication in the bold new digital world. MTNZ has been in a partnership with BongoHive of promoting app development since January 2016 as an avenue to tap into local talent and promote entreprenuralship. MTNZ has provided free internet and training in systems for the BongoHive members.
The Tadhack will host two categories, the Hackathon and the Showcase. The Hackathon will look at products for new ideas or answers to a sponsors challenge. Developers can work on ideas before the event, or generate ideas during the event from all the great networking opportunities.
This category is for products that have already been released commercially or have had significant development. Participants entering the showcase category will equally have a chance to win part of the prize pot and get MTN Zambia recognition. Product themes are given for guidance from the global sponsors on particular areas of interest for those developers looking for direction:
1. Application to person (A2P) on messaging platforms: Hacks on platforms such as Slack, or Matrix, or Facebook Messenger, or any other IP messaging platform.
2. BOTs are software programs on communication platforms: BOTs have been theme of TADHack since its inception, as well as becoming quite fashionable. Hacks like Guber Conference from TADHack Chicago have become commercial services.
3. Internet of Things: From dancing robots to an irrigation hack from Sri Lanka that has gone commercial. IoT remains a theme at TADHack, with a focus on getting those ideas to market.
4. Network Function Virtualization and the Dangerous Demo.
5. Artificial Intelligence. AI has become a part of many hacks created at TADHack in 2015 and 2016. TADHack is where bleeding-edge technologies become real practical solutions to everyday problems.
6. Open Source contributions. Some hacks focus on using the weekend to make contributions to open source projects. Focused on the global sponsor’s open source projects of course.
However, participants are encouraged to develop apps that will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Quality and Innovative
- Utility of the idea
- Compelling use of the sponsor’s technologies
Tadhack Zambia as so far attracted more than 160 participants so far.