BlackBerry had stepped up into the world of Android and produced the BlackBerry PRIV, but has gone on to its second android device, the BlackBerry DTEK50 which it has assured potential buyers is the world’s most secure Android smartphone:
“BlackBerry has a record of being the quickest to deliver security patches. Other smartphone makers can take weeks, months, or even years to push out Android updates, during which time you’re vulnerable to already patched OS-related. DTEK by BlackBerry automatically monitors your OS and apps and lets you know when your privacy could be at risk – as well as when and how to improve it. With just a quick glimpse, DTEK tells you the overall security rating for your device (excellent, fair, or poor) along with suggestions for improving it. It also tracks your applications and notifies you when an app’s doing something on your device without your knowledge (taking pictures or videos, turning your microphone on, sending a text message, or accessing your contacts/location).”
So what features does it come with? Here are some:
- It’s 7.4 mm thin, 147 mm long and 72.5 mm wide, and weighs only 135 grams
- It has a 5.2-inch HD screen, which BlackBerry says has “scratch-resistant glass, and its textured shell can resist any minor bumps and scrapes you put it through (though you might still be in trouble if you hurl it down onto the concrete).”
- 2610 mAh battery
- 3GB of RAM, 16 GB onboard storage with QC 8952 Octa-Core processor
- Comes with Android 6.0 Marshmallow from the box
- 13 MP rear-facing camera and an 8 MP front-facing flash camera
- support for up to 2 TB via the microSD slot
- Pre-orders are on at www. shopblackberry.com in some countries for $299. More countries where it will be availbale will be announced in coming weeks.
BlackBerry has also shared that it comes with the following enhancements:
- The BlackBerry Convenience Key: With the press of a button, gain quick access to your most-used applications, tasks, and more.
- Pop-Up Widgets: View any app widget by swiping up or down across the icon on your home screen and get fast, private access to information you need, when you need it.
- BlackBerry Device Search: Quickly seek out files, apps, help, and more. You can also type an Instant Actions command in the search field to execute it.
- Instant Actions: Perform tasks quickly and efficiently, such as making a phone call, sending an email, sending a text message, playing music, or getting directions.
- Gesture Controls: With a swipe gesture, access up to three shortcuts from anywhere on your device – swipe to open an app, speed-dial a number, send a message, and more.
You can check out images of the BlackBerry DTEK50 here as well as screenshots of its customized Android UI here. Watch BlackBerry’s intro video of the phone below: