Last year we predicted some new trends in tech in Zambia in 2015 and also reviewed them later in the year to see how far the trends had gone.
These trends last year were:
– gadgets becoming smarter
– mobile money becoming more viable in businesses
– MNOs covering the entire country
– cloud service usage will increase
– Internet of Things will be more alive
– Internet security tightening
– Increased analytics in applications and social media marketing
– more tech startups will shroom
Of these trends, we saw gadgets become smarter, mobile money getting incorporated into many businesses, cloud service usage increased a little, internet security tightened, we saw nothing IoT-based that was available in the country worth talking about. There was an increased push for analytics for business platforms worldwide to better understand their customers and get feedback on products and services.
As for tech startups, we would have loved to see more.
In 2016, we expect the same trends to grow, with the addition of the following:
– mobile services to improve in terms of pricing of products and availability of service
– more tech startups to make use of the local hubs (e.g BongoHive) to develop their tech ideas.
– more connected devices to make their way into the country, hopefully, we’ll see smarter homes, cars, applications, etc.
What do you expect from the tech scene? Let us know!