Slush is Europe’s leading startup and technology event, which connects startups and tech talent with top-tier international investors, executives, and media. In 2015, Slush brought together 15,000 attendees from one hundred nations for the two day event held in Helsinki, Finland. (We attended last year’s which you can read about the 7 lessons every startup can learn from it here.)
Slush Global Impact Accelerator is a program created in collaboration with the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland and multiple partners globally. The purpose is to create a leading global program to support startups that are looking to solve some of the most pressing global challenges and contributing to the discussion on impact investing. Lusaka’s innovation and technology hub, BongoHive is excited to be part of Slush for the first time. BongoHive will be hosting Slush 2016 local competition this August to select startups that will represent Zambia at Slush Global event in November – December 2016 in Helsinki, Finland.
Selection process during the Local Competition:
1. Main presentations of all the startup participants (3 min each + 5 min feedback & questions from the coaches). Coaches to choose 10 finalists.
2. Announcing 10 finalists for 1-on-1 coaching session
3. 1-on-1 coaching sessions (10min for each team with each coach)
4. Time for coaches to choose 3 finalists for the Final Selection Committee in Finland.
1. Vision to solve pressing challenges globally (A business concept that will have a measurable positive impact on people, society, or planet. There are no limitations in terms of sector or geographical focus.
2. Potential to scale;
3. Skills and drive to succeed;
4. A business idea that has gained some traction, but can still be in an early phase;
5. At least a working prototype;
6. Preferably with the IT focus
7. Can be commercial or non-profit but have to have a scalable business idea 8. Attending Slush will benefit their future business activities
9. Fluent English skills.
For the local competition, interested startups should apply by filling in a pre-registration form. The startups with the biggest potential to win the competition and who fit the selection criterias for the impact innovations & social entrepreneurship will be shortlisted. A max of 15 startups will be shortlisted for the Local Pitching Competition.
The slush local competition will be held on 26th August 2016 at BongoHive Plot 16948B Thabo Mbeki Road in Lusaka, Zambia. More information on how to apply will be shared soon.