Google just released the official Android 7.0 Nougat operating system (OS) update which had been in beta format till now. It has some features you may find interesting:
- Save battery with the Doze feature: that goes on when your phone is inactive in your bag or pocket
- Data saver: users can set personalized data limits and also inhibit other apps from running in the background on mobile data
- New emojis: Google promises over 72 new ones inbuilt into the OS (including human emojis of different skin tones)
- App simultaneity: you can run two apps side by side on your device with multi-window functionality
- Better 3D graphics: gamers will love this as it comes with Vulkan API on supported devices. It will also have Virtual Reality mode for phones that come DayDream ready
- Display size: users can change the size of the text on devices and of icons and image displays.
- Direct reply from notifications menu: so you don’t have to open a messenger to respond to messages
- Background updates: new software versions on some of the latest devices will be updated in the background and users won’t have to wait for device to sync with it.
- Work mode: allows users turn on and off device’s work apps and notifications when users are busy with other things
The phones getting it first are (obviously) Google’s Nexus range. DigitalTrends shared the list so the update is available for:
- Google Nexus 6
- Google Nexus 5X
- Google Nexus 6P
- Google Nexus 9
- Google Nexus Player
- Google Pixel C
- General Mobile 4G (Android One)
Other brands may get the update in a month or more from now. To check if it’s available on your device go to the software update menu. See more features of Android 7.0 Nougat here.