With Zambians desperately wanting phones that can connect to the internet, the demand for cheaper smartphones is on the rise. Airtel has thus launched the Airtel Red, for only K485.
It has the following features:
- a 3.5’’ screen with 320 x420 TFT HVGA display.
- 1.2 GHz Qualcomm dual core processor.
- 512 MB RAM and 4GB ROM, so yes your applications will run smoothly enough.
- 3MP camera and a VGA front camera, (you didn’t expect too much for the price now, did you? Selfies here will also be tricky. Get really good lighting!).
- it has GPRS/EDGE/3G/HSPA, Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi hotspot options, bluetooth and assisted GPS connectivities.
For phone prices its range, the Airtel Red is good value for your money. It’s a great ‘first phone‘ for people who are starting out with smartphones and do not have immense data connectivity needs. It comes preloaded with social apps that will help them get familiar with social media, e.g Facebook and Whatsapp. The apps on the phone will lead you to the app menu where you can download the actual app itself.
The fact that it is 3G enabled with that processor size means it may be fast enough for almost flawless connectivity around Zambia.
It comes preinstalled with an Airtel UI that’s pretty red, that gives easy access to Airtel services like Airtel Money, checking balances, topping up credit, without even dialing the usual shortcodes. Sweet!
Still on data issues, the company will even throw in a free 500MB bundle when you buy the phone, and free access to the premium version of the TrueCaller app that helps identify who’s calling you even if you don’t have their number saved in your phone book.
We’ll be getting our hands on one of the models so expect a full review soon. Customers can get one in any Airtel store by the end of the week.